Something to Entertain You, Pt. 2

 OK, another edition of media I've consumed recently or is on my radar.

Books

  • I finished Book of the New Sun. It's a first non-DNF in sci-fi/fantasy in several years. I had been growing a bit tired of the general genre sphere. But I think this reignited a fair bit of interest back again.
  • I am working through The Wizard Knight by Gene Wolfe. It's much slower paced and written more clearly than New Sun (for better or for worse). It's quite a classically told, but not trope-ridden, fantasy story. I am looking forward to reading more of it.
  • I started the audiobook of A Wizard of Earthsea. Its writing is kinda bland? I'm not sure how I feel about it, and if my ambiguity is due to the reader. I might buy a physical copy to try it out.

Other things on my TBR (some of which I already own):

  • Between Two Fires
  • The Once and Future King
  • Lud-in-the-Mist
  • Crime and Punishment
  • The Portable Jung
  • Man and His Symbols
 I'm not a frequent reader but I have the rest of my reading life ahead of me.

Music

  • I became a DIM cistern subscriber, giving me all future albums and some unreleased tracks as well. I do not regret it.
  • Ambient artists: Belong, Wanderwelle, Witan, Mount Shrine
  • Electronic: Clark has become a quick favorite in technical, fast-paced experimental electronic. Also: Two Lone Swordsmen.
  • Other: The Budos Band came up on an algorithmic suggestion, and it turned out to be good. I listed to it on night drives occasionally.

Movies & TV

  • I started watching Three Pines... and it kinda comes off as a Twin Peaks knock-off. I haven't watched more than an episode, though I enjoyed it.
  • Me and my roommate started watching Berserk, the anime, together. Grimdark is often up my alley, and this is no exception.
I think that's all. I did a lot of work and personal travel in June and July. I didn't enjoy it... I don't sleep well in hotels or on planes. I don't have much more of that coming up, which is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thinking Small: The Fictional World has a Surprising Amount of Detail

Empty Rooms Should be Just That and the 5 Room Dungeon

Thinking Small Adventures